Raw Energy Squares

We finally have a long weekend ahead: time to sit back, unwind, prepare a cocktail and watch my favorite tv series...and also do my nails, a facial (I've been a slacker and my poor skin needs some serious pampering!), read all my e-mails, visit my favorite food blogs, read this month's fashion mags, prepare a new recipe for next week, transplant my little gold raspberry bush, do some grocery shopping oh! and planning all my recipes for April. Damn, as always I make endless to-do lists; I'm pretty sure I won't be able to check all these things off my list! Plus I must squeeze in my workouts to burn off the Easter extra calories. Hehehe.
Well, first thing's first so I'm gonna focus right now on the recipe I bring you today: healthy and delicious raw squares packed with good fats and energy. They also have a yummy crunchy top to make them more irresistible. I love having these kind of energy bites or bars waiting for me in the fridge after a training session, they are my favorite on the go snack plus it's a great way to satisfy my sweet tooth at any time. I usually make them while there's something baking in the oven and I have to wait, even though that means I'll have more dishes to wash later but it's all worth it.
The crumble top is totally optional, these squares will still taste super good even if you don't want to make the topping cause you're short on time or just want simple squares.

Receta elaborada para El Granero Integral.



Raw Energy Squares
(yield: 8 squares)

Ingredients
1/2 cup medjool dates.
1/2 cup dried figs.
3/4 cup almonds.
1/2 cup walnuts.
1/4 cup hazelnuts.
2 tbsp chia seeds.
2 tbsp flaxmeal.
1/2 tbsp coconut oil.
1 tbsp raw cacao powder.
1 tbsp pea protein powder.
2 tbsp pecan nuts (for the crumble topping).


Directions
Pit the dates and cut them in half. Chop the dried figs too.
In the bowl of a food processor place all the nuts, flaxmeal and chia seeds and pluse until all the nuts have crumbled and the mixture looks like a coarse flour.


Add the rest of the ingredients: dates, figs, coconut oil, cacao powder and protein powder. Blend for a couple of minutes or until the mixture forms a sticky dough.
Scoop out around 1/2 a tablespoon of dough and set aside (you will use it later for the crumble topping).


Dump the mixture into a brownie dish or a rectangular pan (it shouldn't be too big, otherwise your squares will be too thin), press down firmly with your hands. Remember to line the dish with parchment paper to easily lift the squares out of the pan.
Note: If you don't have a square or rectangular pan don't worry, just place the dough over a sheet of parchment paper and roll it out to flatten it a bit. Use your hands to give a rectangular shape and gently roll out the edges when you're done. It should measure around 16 cm x 13 cm.
Place the 1/2 tbsp of dough in your food processor again and add in 2 tablespoons of raw pecan nuts. Process until the nuts are roughly chopped, sprinkle on top of the dough and press down so it sticks.
Chill in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes before slicing into 8 even squares.
Store refrigerated.




Comments