Coconut Milk Pancakes

I'm posting a bit later than usual, but a thousand last-minute things happened (and a couple new recipes that I tested) and so I had to wait until today to finally sit down and write this post. Don't you hate it when you've been planning something for days and that moment never comes because all of a sudden a new thing becomes number one on your ToDo list? I promised myself not to stress over those small things that can ruin your day if you just give them more importance than they really have. Owell, at least I'm trying...and some days it works! Others...I become a grumpy lady that wants to eat dark chocolate the whole day.
Good news is that the weekend is right here and I can't wait to make these coconut milk pancakes again for breakfast tomorrow and start the day off right! These are hands down the best pancake recipe I've ever made, they are so deliciously fluffy, tender and with the right touch of sweetness. Plus the subtle coconut flavor makes them even more tasty. Coconut and non-coconut lovers have tasted them and they all asked for more.
Two important notes:
1- I used organic coconut milk that comes in carton, not the canned one (much more dense) which has a higher fat percentage and, even though is great for ice creams and other desserts, I don't recommend it for this recipe because it will affect the texture.
2- Some of you might think what 'Panela' exactly is. Okay, at first I was tad bit confused too because most of the times each brand tends to label the same product with a different name. Panela is the spanish/colombian name, while in other countries you will find the same type of sugar under the name of 'rapadura' or simply 'unrefined whole cane sugar'. I like to use this sugar in a lot of recipes because it is less processed and gives a nice toasty flavor to my baked goods. If it's hard to find it for you, use your favorite sugar (though I'd recommend muscovado sugar or other 'humid' sugar with a high content of molasses).
So these are officially my new favorite pancakes and I hope you try them and love them as much as I do.
Now I'm off to try to fix the disaster that I had with my (now 'old') hairdresser, she cut way TOO MUCH hair off! And I don't like how my poor hair looks now...I wanted it to keep it long and now I see so many different layers that there's no way to control my thick dark spanish hair! I think that hairdresser should learn what I found at Jean Louis David's website:
“Too many layers in thick hair can result in over-the-top volume that’s difficult to control. But if the layers are well designed, they help to distribute volume and reduce thickness." 
...well, I think it's time to search for a new and more competent hairdresser, wish me luck! 
*Sorry for my rant*



Coconut Milk Pancakes
(yield: 8 pancakes approx.)

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour.
1/2 cup white spelt flour.
2 tbsp organic panela (unrefined whole cane sugar).
3 1/2 tsp baking powder.
1 tsp salt.
1 cup coconut milk.
2 tsp apple cider vinegar.
1 tbsp flaxmeal (ground flax seeds).
1/2 cup filtered water.
3 tbsp sunflower oil.
1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Toppings:
Fresh wildberries.
Creamy natural yogurt (choose your favorite type).
Pure maple syrup.


Directions

In a large mixing bowl and using a hand whisk mix together flours, baking powder, panela and salt.
In a separate medium bowl vigorously whisk milk, vinegar and ground flax seeds until the mixture looks foamy.
Add the wet mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and also add in water, oil and vanilla. Stir until all ingredients are well combined and there are no big lumps.
Loosely cover the bowl and let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
I like my pancakes to be all the same size and shape (yep, I'm an hyper-perfectionist) so I use a small frying pan and cook them one by one, always pouring the same amount of batter.
Lightly coat the pan with coconut oil and to test the temperature pour a small drop of batter and check if it browns too quickly, then you should lower the heat.
Pour 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake and cook for 4 minutes approximately, until air bubbles appear on the top. Flip and cook for another 4 minutes or less, depending on how hot your pan is and remember to always control the temperature. You might need to lower or increase the temperature a few times.
Serve with fresh fruit like wildberries, strawberries, etc. Add a dollop of natural yogurt and a generous drizzle of pure maple syrup.









Comments

  1. oh yum theses pancakes look so good, I love the idea of coconut milk pancakes bet they taste amazing. Feelin your hair drama I have quite thick hair too and can sometimes end up looking like a mushroom if they layer it wrong but I'm sure you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! Yes, they are so fluffy and really delicious. The coconut flavor is not overwhelming so this recipe pleases everybody.
      Oh my poor hair! Some mornings I even scare myself when I wake up and look at the mirror >_< . Complete hairdresser traumatic experience! lol

      Delete
  2. Delicious Gemma! I love anything coconutty. Pinned and shared : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Lucy! Coming from an excellent cook like you it's more than a compliment. :-)

      xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment